You know how important it is to drink enough water every day, right? It keeps you healthy, hydrated, and happy. But did you know that drinking water before bed can also have some amazing benefits(1) for your body and mind? It’s true!
In this article, I’ll tell you what kind of water you should drink before bed, why it’s good for you, and how much is too much.
Types of Water to Drink Before Bed
Not all water is created equal. Some types of water can give you extra benefits when you drink them before bed. Here are some examples:
- Lemon water: This is one of my favorites. It tastes great and it gives you a boost of vitamin C, which helps your immune system fight off germs.
- Lime water: This is similar to lemon water, but with a different flavor. It also has vitamin C and can help you stay hydrated.
- Honey water: This is perfect for when you need something sweet and soothing before bed. Honey has antibacterial properties that can help your digestion and calm your nerves.
- Coconut water: This is like nature’s sports drink. It has electrolytes that can replenish your fluids and minerals. It’s also low in calories and can help you avoid snacking at night.
- Carbonated water: This is for when you want some fizz in your water. It can help your digestion and relieve constipation.
Temperature of Water
The temperature of the water you drink before bed can also make a difference:
- Warm water: Drinking warm water before bed can help your digestion and detoxify your body. It can also ease any pain or cramps in your stomach.
- Hot water: Drinking hot water before bed can increase your blood circulation, help your body break down waste, and make you sweat. Sweating will make you lose some water during the night, but it will also remove excess salts or toxins and clean your skin.
- Cold water: Drinking cold water before bed can lower your body temperature, which can help you fall asleep faster.
- Ice cold water: Drinking ice cold water before bed can have the same effect as cold water, but more intense.
Benefits of Drinking Water Before Bed
Drinking water before bed has many benefits(2):
- Lowers blood pressure and heart rate: A study published in Scientific Reports found that drinking water reduces the workload of your heart and lowers your blood pressure and heart rate .
- Improves mood: A study from 2014 showed that drinking enough water throughout the day can improve your mood .
- Relieves headache symptoms: Drinking enough water can prevent headaches or make them less severe .
- Prevents dehydration: Drinking enough water throughout the day helps prevent dehydration .
Benefits of Drinking Milk Before Bed
Drinking milk before bed is an old tradition that many people swear by. Milk contains an amino acid called tryptophan that can make you sleepy because it reduces the amount of serotonin, which makes you feel relaxed. Milk also has melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate your sleep cycle.
Some experts think that milk’s role as a sleep aid has more to do with psychology than nutrition. Drinking warm milk before bed could remind you of when you were a kid and had milk at bedtime. These comforting feelings could tell your brain that it’s time to sleep, making it easier to drift off.
It doesn’t matter if you drink warm or cold milk before bed. There’s no scientific evidence that one is better than the other for sleep. It’s up to you.
How Much Water to Drink Before Bed
It’s important to drink enough water throughout the day to stay hydrated. But it’s not a good idea to drink too much water right before bed. You should stop drinking large amounts of fluids at least two hours before going to bed . If you need to drink some water before bed (for example, if your mouth is dry or if you need to take medicine), try to limit yourself to small sips .
Side Effects of Drinking Too Much Water Before Bed
Drinking too much water before bed can have some side effects:
- Disrupted sleep due to frequent urination: Drinking too much water before bed can make you need to pee more often at night, which can interrupt your sleep .
- Hyponatremia (low sodium levels in the blood): Drinking too much water in a short time can dilute the sodium levels in your blood, which can cause hyponatremia.
Drinking enough water every day is essential for your health and well-being. Drinking some types of water (like lemon or honey) or certain temperatures (like warm or hot) before bed can give you extra benefits. But don’t drink too much water before bed, because it can disrupt your sleep. By being smart about how much and what kind of water you drink before bed, you can enjoy the benefits without the drawbacks.
- “Drinking Water Before Bed”. Healthline. Last Updated on May 19, 2023. https://www.healthline.com/health/drinking-water-before-bed
- “Is It Healthy To Drink Water Before Bed?”. Clevelandclinic. Last updated on June 22, 2022 https://health.clevelandclinic.org/drink-water-before-bed/